If you sporadically cough, sneeze, have rhinorrhea or red, itchy eyes every time you interact with pets like dogs or cats, you are most likely dealing with a pet allergy- a claim that your doctor will need to confirm, given that, some people do not actually have pet allergies, they are just irritated by the pollen or mold that’s been formed on the pet skin, either the case, it’s recommended for people with pet allergies to use a humidifier to treat the pet allergy and also to provide relief from other kinds of allergies.
Pet allergy is an allergic reaction to proteins found in an animal's skin cells, saliva, or urine. Signs of pet allergy include those common to hay fever, such as sneezing and runny nose. Some people may also experience signs of asthma, such as wheezing and difficulty breathing.
Most often, pet allergy is triggered by having contact with the dead flakes of skin (dander) a pet sheds. Any animal with fur can be a source of pet allergy, but pet allergies are most commonly associated with cats and dogs.
Pet allergens can easily become airborne to get inhaled also stick on the furniture, walls, floors for weeks to cause allergic reactions for days, but that can’t happen with the best humidifier for pet allergies.
Humidifiers build up the relative humidity in the air. An increase in moisture may help with your allergies. It may lessen the severity of your symptoms which we mentioned earlier. However, excess humidity above 50% could make conditions worse. Indoor allergens like dust mites and mold thrive in moist conditions.
By having an optimal level of humidity in the air, you can keep your nasal passages free of mucus. Maintaining clear nasal passages means that your body has a more pleasant time dealing with any allergens you are exposed to on a day-to-day basis. If you suffer from sinusitis, humidifiers can be a very useful part of your treatment. Dry air irritants won’t be as strong with the extra moisture in the air.
Cool-mist humidifiers are evaporative humidifiers. They turn water into vapor by blowing a fan into a wick that is saturated with water. The water evaporates into the air, creating humidity.
During this process, the air becomes cooler, so a cool-mist humidifier is certainly a good option in warmer climates. Also, there is no heating element, so they use considerably less energy. These humidifiers are less noisy and generally easy to clean, but they do need more frequent cleaning because there is no heat to kill the bacteria. Furthermore, they are safer to use around pets and children since there’s no boiling or heated water involved. They work better in larger environments, and some people believe the cool mist is more comfortable to breathe.
Warm-mist humidifiers are also evaporative, but they first heat the water to a certain degree, and then release it into the air. Warm mist humidifiers are better at thinning out mucus and soothing congested sinuses. They are better for smaller areas, like a bedroom, but they should be kept away from children since the mist they release is very hot.
Ultrasonic humidifiers use an impeller or diaphragm that vibrates at a very high (ultrasonic) frequency. This propels tiny water droplets into the air. Some of these droplets ultimately evaporate, although some stick onto nearby surfaces. The definite ratio depends on the air temperature and the room’s humidity level. If the ultrasonic humidifier has tap water in it, which contains minerals, aerosolized mineral particles can contaminate the air, leaving a white powder on surfaces once it settles out, and potentially causing respiratory problems if inhaled.
It is crucial to keep two things in mind: humidity levels should remain within the 30%-50% range and your unit should be cleaned and maintained according to manufacturer specifications. Additional problems can appear by not taking these precautions.
Extremely high levels of humidity can form additional allergen issues in your home, specifically with dust mites, who flourish in humid environments, and mold and mildew, which grow easily in an unventilated area that has high humidity levels.
A humidifier that is not properly cleaned can grow fungi or bacteria, eventually becoming a mold and bacteria sprayer that contaminates your air whenever it runs. Humidifiers should be emptied, wiped down, and allowed to dry every day, and cleaned with a 3 percent hydrogen peroxide solution or white vinegar at least 3 times a week. Ultrasonic humidifiers should only be utilized with distilled water because they can contaminate the air with aerosolized mineral particles if they are filled with tap water.
To further protect against the dangers of humidifying with dirty water, many humidifiers come with integrated anti-bacterial components. The ultrasonic ones not only humidify the air but they also kill most microbes. Other humidifiers rely on the heating element, or silver ions to keep the tank clean.
Humidifiers are a great pleasure for people that suffer from pet allergies to get relief from irritants such as pet dander, urine, or saliva.
The best humidifiers for people living with pet allergies are the whole-home humidifiers, but they are pretty expensive. Getting a portable humidifier with a large tank should do the job of getting rid of allergies from pet-related irritants.
If you require more information, please check these references
Allergens in indoor air: environmental assessment and health effects , article, "www.sciencedirect.com", retrieved on, Tue 14-July-2020
Indoor Risk Factors for Asthma in a Prospective Study of Adolescents , article, "www.jstor.org", retrieved on, Tue 14-July-2020
Recent understandings of pet allergies , article, "www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov", retrieved on, Tue 14-July-2020
After I had a bout of sinusitis, I spent every hour looking for something that would allow some kind of relief form the pain. This was when I found the humidifier. This came as a great surprise to me, as I assumed that these were just “toys”
After this blessed release from sinusitis, I decided to investigate these things further
95 Sunrising, East Looe. Cornwall PL13 1NG, United Kingdom Tel: 07593 076598